Monday, March 9, 2015

Galatians 6 (First Half At Least)

I want to talk a little about two unique things about me. 1,I've read Paul's letters to the various churches many times. One Summer, I read them 6 or 7 times in a row just because I was so into them. 2, I can also be a somewhat dense person sometimes on occasion.

Both of those things have certainly collided before, and that's definitely the case here. I've read this chapter many times, and I'd just go straight on through it. Come to think of it, I even recall a time where my 4th grade class talked about this part of the chapter (the second part is on circumcision, and I'm honestly good on that front, I think I'll maybe just cheerypick this for now). Without further ado, the first half of that chapter!

Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load. Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor.
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
Great Verses, no?
I thought so too! I zoomed in a little bit, and found a lot of good nuggets. I want to specifically tune in to a few key parts of this passage right now.

Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load.
Blam! These verses are good news! I'm good at carrying other's burdens! (Really good!) The thing that I'm not so good at is the last part of that section. I have a hard time testing my own actions, and living for myself instead of trying to please others. I spend a lot of time carrying everyone's stuff and not enough time caring for me. If I want to keep myself sane, I have to spend time looking out for me, for my sake alone. I was told to set a good example from a young age—an understandable—and screwed up aspect of my rearing. I spent a lot of time trying to be the person that everyone looks up to, and I don't think I actually took the time to find myself a midst all that.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people
That is so basically stated that I don't even need to explain it, but I'm still going to. I definitely have grown weary many times of doing good, because I do good to set a good example. But the times where I do good for the sake of doing good are much more fulfilling than the emptiness that I often feel from trying to get myself on everyone's good side through works. Reading this has made me realized how wonky that is, and I've decided to start moving against that.

How Does This Play Out?
For the moment, I'm not quite sure. I feel like I need to learn to live for me, and not for the approval of others. I need to understand life on my own, without the oversight of those in my life. I'm not planning on becoming the prodigal son, but I definitely need to find out what I believe and why. And I need to determine where that child that has to set a good example ends and where I begin. I know that it's a fairly large task, but it will have to be tackled at some point. And there is not a better time to do that than now.

No comments:

Post a Comment