Tuesday, January 28, 2014

ENFP... say what?

Sorry, Homework Assignment first
So, those of you that have read my blog will know that I'm somewhat of a Myers Briggs fanatic. Well, maybe not fanatic, perhaps more like a fan. But I do really like it—quite a lot in fact. I think that there are good times for it to be used, but I also see it misused often.

If you haven't read about Myers Briggs, I recommend doing some research first. You could look it up on Google, or read my past posts about it (Post 1, Post 2). Regardless, you should do that before you read this, otherwise you might end up being slightly confused at all of the terms that I'll be throwing around. ;)

Forward
I feel that a great deal of my struggles have been with my identity and discovering who I am. I used to rely a lot on my girlfriend, my peers and Myers Briggs to find that. Now, I know better.

Now, don't get me wrong, Myers Briggs is great, and certainly has its place. If you are using the percentages for everything, it can be helpful when weighing strengths and weaknesses of those that you are over (aka: subordinates). I think that it is an excellent tool for leadership and can be fine for self improvement, as long as it is never used to find/create identity, as I once fell into the trap of doing.

Now we go
So, now that you know that, here goes.... I'm actually an ENFP. Yeah, yeah, I know. Crazy, right? I mean, I used to be an ESTP, so in reality, that jump isn't super duper far fetched. It is interesting to note that I have changed 7 times, and tested as different types almost every time. I have jumped all over the place, trying to find out which type I really am.

First I thought I was an ENTJ, then I thought ESTJ, then ESTP, then ISFP, then ESTP again, then ESFP, then ESTP, and now ENFP. So, I used 6 combinations of four letters to define me for a while, until I finally discovered that it doesn't matter as much as I once thought it to. As long as you are true to who you are, you're type truly doesn't matter. So, I use the tool, but I don't let it use me, if that makes sense.

Of course it does. :P

So, I'm an ENFP
  • Extroverted
  • iNtuitive
  • Feeling
  • Perceiving
"Whoa, whoa, whoa" you say. Intuitive? Feeling? Depth? HA! It is kinda crazy to think about, but just try to stick with me on this.

Yo, it be true
It all started when I was looking back through my old posts on Myers Briggs. As I looked at the N/S section, I just started blinking repeatedly. After that, I went and took the test, scoring as ENFP. This happened early December, and I wasn't really wanting to admit that I shared a type with my ex-girlfriend, so I just kinda ignored it... but sooner or later you have got to accept reality, so I took the test again, and I scored once again as an ENFP. At this point, I was pretty sure that it was true.

I actually thought it through, and I think that my reasoning makes sense. I compared ESTP, ENFP, ESFP and ENTP all side-by-side. ESFP didn't really fit me, and ENTP was also off. I know that I'm not as adventurous as other ESTP's and I know that I think waaaaaay differently than they do. So, I concluded that I must be an ENFP after all.

In order to prove it to myself I went through and looked at those lists that were in my old posts. I'm going to underline those terms that apply more to me, and maybe that'll make it a little more clear.

N/S
iNtuitive Characteristics
  • Abstract
  • Complicated or Deep
  • Future-focused
  • Idealistic
  • Imaginative
  • Inventive
  • Sees possibilities
  • Theoretical

Sensing Characteristics
  • Aware of surroundings
  • Concrete
  • Factual
  • Goes by senses
  • Lives in the present
  • Notices details
  • Practical
  • Realistic

Explanation of the Confusing
For those sensing traits that I had previously assigned myself, I've come up with some explanations. I used to consider myself aware of my surroundings, but I only did that to make myself feel better for the lack of stuff that I actually noticed. Sorta like, if you aim for your goal, you might make it sometimes, but if you do nothing you'll never make it.

As for concrete, living in the present, and being realistic/practical goes, I think that's mostly due to what happened to me over these last 6 months. I've grown a lot as a person, and a lot has changed in how I view life and others. I don't view life as clear cut as I did before, so I think that I may have at one time been closer to an ESTJ in the way that I acted, but that's definitely not who I am now.

Finally, the whole noticing details thing only really happens when I have reason to pay attention. If a parent is talking to someone else about something and I'm pretty sure it'll be important, you can bet that I'll probably remember it. Other stuff, like the fact that my room can go for months without being cleaned isn't as easily noticed. (That actually ties into the whole aware of surroundings thing too!)

F/T
Feeling Characteristics
  • Caring of others
  • Decides with heart
  • Dislikes conflict
  • Driven by emotion
  • Easily hurt
  • Empathetic
  • Gentle
  • Passionate
  • Peacekeeper
  • Warm

Thinking Characteristics
  • Critical
  • Decides with head
  • Driven by thought
  • Firm with people
  • Impersonal
  • Logical
  • Objective
  • Rational
  • Thick-skinned
  • Seeks truth

Explanation of the Slightly More Straightforward
With the N/S differences, I had to really process exactly what was going on. With the Feeling/Thinking side of things, it was a little bit clearer.

Now, don't get me wrong: I rely on my head because I totally need it.

But whenever I have to make a decision, I've given the right of way to my heart. I need to trust my gut instinct and choose what is right based off of that. Trying to sort everything out in the head leaves me running loops, muddling the issue further or getting stuck in a rut.

I still seek truth continuously, but I think that this is because I am always seeking for meaning and understanding in life due to my N type.

And just because I'm an F, doesn't mean I always have to be 100% mushy, or have to decide without thinking things through. I can still process pretty well, it's only when emotions become involved that I have to decide with my heart.

Final Musings
Maybe being an ENFP isn't too bad.

Well, not like I have too much of a choice. It's at least nice to know why I do what I do, and have some good explanations for it. When I make a decision now I'm thinking: OH YEAH, that makes sense!

Words of encouragement? 
My N likes it because it uses words to convey a deeper message.
My F likes it because it's kind, and genuine

Physical touch?
My E likes it because it's physical action, real world stuff. They are putting themselves out there for me.
My F likes it because it's all to be felt, and isn't rational. It comes from within, not without.
My P likes it because it kinda becomes an experience to take in.

You know what, being an ENFP isn't bad.
It isn't bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment