Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Favorite Things of 2013

Silly Little Intro
So, a friend of mine made a post on his blog about his favorite things of 2013 and I figured that I'd go ahead and make a similar blog post.

2013 was a weird year for me. Lots of stuff happened. I battled depression during the later part of it, but there were many super-fun crazy-awesome times also. So with that, here we go, some of my favorite things of 2013.

Favorite Things of Twenty Thirteen
Entertainment

Favorite Movie That I Really Shouldn't Have Loved As Much As I Did: Pacific Rim
Pacific Rim may appear to be nothing more than a dumb action movie with sub-par acting, but when you examine closer, you learn that it actually is a dumb action movie with sub-par acting, but it is still amazing. The story is okay, a lot of the movie feels forced, but the setting seems very realized, and the action is a lot of fun. It's not a movie for everyone, but it is a movie for your inner child to enjoy. The effects were great, and the sound of each punch was great. Definitely made me feel like I was watching my action figures come alive. A pure joy to watch.

Favorite Surprisingly Decent Movie: Lone Ranger
Lone Ranger got way too much hate from the critics. It wasn't the most amazing movie that I've seen, and in fact wasn't the best film of the summer of 2013, but I still liked it. Why? Well, the story had some fun twists, the bad guys were significantly creepy, the action scenes were undeniably fun, Johnny Depp was great, and so was Armie Hammer. I liked the movie a lot more than I thought I would, and I really had a good time.

Favorite Sequel That I Thought Would Be Terrible: Despicable Me 2
A lot like the first. You've got the minions, the hilarious Gru and the three kids. Each one of these elements are used better than the first, maybe with the exception of Gru. Like the first, there's lots of character development, some funny moments, and random bits of screaming. The villain is hilarious, and the story was good, even if the twist was obvious. Great animated movie, that I liked almost as much as the first.

Favorite Movie Of The Year Period: The Desolation of Smaug
Forget that it's based off of a book. Peter Jackson is just about as faithful to the book as the Narnia movies were to their books, but it just works. For some reason, I was sitting there, buying every twist that Jackson threw in there. Martin Freeman was spectacular as Bilbo, and the subtlety of some of his performance was amazing. I loved every second he was on screen. They also started explaining the Necromancer stuff from the Appendices and the Silmarilion, and that was done much better than the first. One of my favorite thing about the Fellowship of the Ring was the diversity of the cultures shown, and this movie did the same exact thing. I loved the distinctive cultures of Lake-Town, the Lonely Mountain, Mirkwood Elven Halls, everything. Well acted, brilliantly shown and fun, this movie was a whooping good time.

Favorite TV show: Revolution (Season 2)
Yeah, a big surprise! With season 1, episdoes 1-10 were awful, and 11-20 were barely tolerable. I came back about number 14 because my brother made me and I finished up that season. I reluctantly started the second season hoping it to be good, and it certainly is great. All of the acting is up a notch (in some cases several) better than before, the stories make more sense, the action is better and there appears to be a strong overarching plot that's just starting to come into the picture. Everything that was bad about the first season is perfect with the second. This isn't my favorite show of all time, but it is still really good. My advice is to skip season 1 though. You'll only be behind on a bit, and frankly the terrible-ness that is most of season 1 isn't worth it.

Stuff That I Did

My summer especially was filled with adventure. But there were about 4 things (other than my relationship with my girlfriend (not going to go into that here, read my old posts... :P )) that were super duper awesome. Here are some of the important events of 2013, and a bit about 'em, not in order of occurrence, but instead in order of I have no idea, don't ask me why.

Improvapalooza Improv. Competition
Left to Right
Me, Grant, Miguel, Larissa, Austin
A competition of improvy-awesomeness. Back in December of 2012, us five auditioned for an improv team. In June of 2013 we went over to Chicago and competed with 13 other teams and took third place. It was a grand old time, and lots of fun for everyone. This next year, I'm on a team again, and we're heading all the way to Portland (woohoo, 30 minute drive!), and though there isn't going to be super crazy site seeing, it'll still be a good time. I'm excited to go and compete once more with Grant and Austin, though we'll miss Miguel's constant shenaniganry and Larissa's silliness this year.

Beauty and the Beast Crew Chief(ing)
In JTAG's winter session, Portland put on Beauty and the Beast. Larissa convinced me to do Crew Chief, so I figured that it wouldn't be that hard and gave it a go. I was not anticipating almost having a nervous breakdown the night before opening, or developing the deep relationships that I did with the crew. I've only been involved in three shows, but this one was my favorite by far. It was a great time for me to deepen my relationships with my friends involved, and it was such a fun time of my life.

Steam Powered Giraffe Concert
Okay. I like SPG, this is true. I enjoy their music, and I like their writing style. So, I went with some friends to go see them in April, and I had a blast. It was a ton of fun, and we even hung out at Larissa's sister's house on the way back. They sounded fantastic live, even though most of the band was super sick at the time of the show. All of the show was great, and I would definitely go see them again.



BSA Camp Fire Mountain
If you asked my why I was involved in Scouts and I didn't answer: Friends, Camping, Friends, and fun then I was either lying or delusional. I barely earned my Eagle, and mostly because I felt like it was something that I owed to myself, not something that I necessarily wanted to do. But Fire Mountain was a real treat. The staff weren't putting on a show like Baldwin, and the area was beautiful. The Troop fit really well together, I got to do improv, and I got a job offer because of how I acted. It was a huge growing time for me, where I let a lot of things go that didn't matter, and I deepened my relationship with Christ. It was really hard at times, but I came out of it so strong and free, and loving life. High point of the year? Summer Camp Fire Mountain.

2014
Well, there we go. Only took me lots of hours to write, but I think it was worth it. There's the high points of my year, all put together in a post. This last year had a lot of stuff in it that was pretty depressing. I will not lie and say that I loved everything about 2013, but it is nice to look back at all of the good times that I did have. It was a time of growth, and I'm excited for 2014 to be different. I went through probably the hardest thing for me, so I'm pretty sure that next year won't be worse. Even if it is, bring it on. God is my strength now, and I'm not going to be pushed around with him helping me.

To infinity and beyond! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment